Saturday, November 18, 2006

Looney Zunes

As already stated, I am a recent iPodder. I pride myself on being fad-resistent and only bought one when it suited my purpose. However, I always appreciated the aura that Apple built around their devices. As a technologist who can enjoy stylish items, it was good to see a company willing to spend time making their devices look good. After all, most households own a computer and the beige boxes (which I own) aren't exactly works of art that you would want have on display. Think back to cool science fiction movies like Gattaca and you can see what we needed; Apple provides that. For me, though, I want value for money and that's why I will continue to buy my PCs from small computer shops and then hide them in my study.

So Microsoft figures it is time to give Apple a run for its money and along comes the Zune. I won't describe it because you must be living in a cave if you haven't heard about it. Odd name, but odder still is that it appears that the obvious domain name, www.zune.com, is already taken. Surely that would have been a marketing showstopper. Also, my curiosity lead me to check out the related store. It doesn't appear to be that easy to find. I first Googled "zune store" but there really wasn't anything apparent. So it turns out that it is called Zune Marketplace, off the www.zune.net site which under Firefox looks like something a 12 year old created, a white page with images and some text. This is being a bit picky, but exactly what generation is "Welcome to the Social" supposed to appeal to? Sounds very 1920s to me. I did like this cheeky dig at the marketing campaign. Nonetheless, the Xbox survived to the second incarnation (although gamers are a pretty fickle demographic) and it will be interesting how the Zune performs.

3 comments:

Jason Yip said...

XBox had/has Halo.

In other words, I suspect XBox could rely on content unavailable elsewhere whereas the Zune cannot.

Anonymous said...

A nice satirical video about the "Zune":
http://blogs.ugidotnet.org/piyo/archive/2006/11/17/54942.aspx

Unknown said...

John Lech Johansen has pointed out some distrotions about he reporting of ZUNE in the media that most mac zealots would have taken as faith. It's an interesting pov, and it seems that the zune does have one up on the ipod:

http://nanocrew.net/2006/11/27/zune-fud-ii/