Wednesday, November 08, 2006

i(hate)Tunes

Love the iPod. Can I just say I really love the iPod? Makes me feel like when I first had a walkman with a decent tape collection. There's nothing like walking through crowded Sydney streets of a Friday night with Pnau blaring in my ears so loud that I can barely hear anything else. Its like having a soundtrack for your life. And watching video podcasts is cool. And audio ones too.

But I really, really hate iTunes. Firstly for a piece of software that is only downloading files, why does it need to consume 60% of my CPU!? And not mention the times I left it on overnight to download podcasts or sync with the iPod only to find that it had crashed and no work had been done. Oh, and the fact that there is no resume functionality on downloads, so download 80% and the quit iTunes; when you come back in, it often won't even start again, it just tries and (due to there being a half downloaded file on the file system) fails complaining that the URL doesn't exist anymore - which is wrong! More: you can't control how many files are downloaded simultaneously, so when my bandwidth got choked to 64k (due to download exceeds) it still blindly tried to download three 100MB podcasts at once.

Regarding podcasts, I watch or listen to them and they become 'watched' and lose the blue dot, but often don't get deleted. But sometimes they do. So I have to periodically clean them up myself so I don't fill the hard disk. Annoying.

End rant.

3 comments:

srushti said...

I think itunes 7 has gotten much worse than itunes 6. It really tries my patience some times.

As far as the deletion of podcasts are concerned itunes will delete watched/listened podcasts only if you listen all the way till the end (at which point the play count hits 1).

Mark Jones said...

I have none of these issues on my Macbook Pro, maybe it is PC-specific (Apple's revenge!).

Jem said...

Hey Paul. Have you thought about upgrading your firmware to RockBox?

It won't help you with automation of podcast downloads, but it does simplify the sync'ing of files as you just treat the iPod like the USB drive it is (provided its FAT32 - i.e. your initial syncing was with a PC rather than a Mac).

See my thoughts on rockbox for more diatribe.

Jem