Monday, October 09, 2006

Open your mind

It has been one full week since I started using the GTD processes. Practically, this means carrying my action lists and my tickler file to and from work. A few people have mentioned hi-tech options but the current set up suits me fine. Initial thoughts are that I really notice the mental freedom of not having to keep my to-dos in my head. Its quite relaxing to ride the bus in the morning and not have try to dig up all the things I needed to address, especially on a Monday! When I turned on my computer and looked in my email system's @ACTION folder, I saw that I had a code review to complete. I had no trace of that task in my active memory - and that felt good, meaning I hadn't spent any time over the weekend thinking about it. Yet at the same time, I was more likely to complete it.

While the title of the book makes it sound like the system helps you to do things, the real benefit is that it helps you to do the right things. Tasks that had been floating around for months were finally nailed down and completed. I also like the mental 'inbox' process: something comes in, say a phone message, and you force yourself to work out what the next step is - and that's what you write down. In busier times, I sure I will have a staged inbox cycle where I will process things in a batch, but now I can do most as they come in.

1 comment:

Mark Jones said...

I am a big fan of Merlin Mann; here is a good link for those into GTD:

http://www.43folders.com/2006/10/11/5-ways-to-improve/